Copyright ©2007- 2020 Donna Goff

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Grandma Flaugh’s Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

When I was a young child, we would drive from Fort Wayne to Decatur, Indiana, to visit my mother's family. My grandmother, Mary "Effie" Flaugh always had a large tin filled with sugar cookies and another with chocolate chip cookies, waiting for us. We would keep them in the freezer. At night she would bring out the frozen cookies and we would each have a few cookies and milk. When it was time to leave, she would give us the tins of cookies to take with us. When we came back, we would return the tins, and we would be given another set of tins when we left. For years I looked for a sugar cookie like my grandmother made. When I was in college I got the recipe from grandma.

This recipe makes light, cake like sugar cookies with a very delicate lemon flavor. I usually double the recipe.

Ingredients:


2 cups granulated sugar plus extra sugar to sprinkle on cookies
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup Crisco shortening

Direction:

Preheat oven to 400°

Cream: sugar, eggs, and Crisco till fluffy. Add the rest and whip till fluffy. Spoon onto cookie sheet w/ teaspoon. Sprinkle extra sugar on cookies before baking. Bake for 7 minutes.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Have you ever substituted butter for the shortning in your Grandma's sugar cookie recipe?

Donna said...

I prefer butter to shortening and butter to margarine. I have not experimented with this recipe though.
I use butter in pie crusts. Notice I have my sister in law, Pat's, Molasses Sugar cookie recipe and it is identical to the Ginger Snap recipe, only Pat's has Crisco and The Ginger Snap Recipe uses butter. I prefer the butter one, its healthier and tastes better.