Copyright ©2007- 2020 Donna Goff

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tuna Sandwiches

My aunt Grace asked me to make tuna sandwiches for the lunch held the day of the joint memorial service for her husband and my mother. I made the version below, minus the cucumber slices. Just as I was ready to actually assemble the sandwiches aunt Grace handed me some of her sweet green tomato relish and suggested I add a teaspoon. I dutifully did so. I had never heard of sweet green tomato relish. Secretly, I thought YUK! However, my mom taught me to eat what was served and look for a way to compliment the chef. This time I was the chef, but my aunt was the head chef. I tried the sandwiches, I was surprised and yes I had another sandwich. The flavor was an unexpected delight! That is what I get for being brave;)


Ingredients
1- 6 oz. can tuna drained
1 thin slice of onion, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery finely chopped
Kraft mayonnaise
onion salt

Optional
1 teaspoon sweet green tomato pickle relish (this adds a sweet zip)

Toppings
cucumber slices
lettuce leaf
whole wheat bread slices


Directions
Drain tuna. Slice and chop the onion slice. Chop the celery stalk. Combine tuna, onion, and celery. Add mayo and mix to desired spreading consistency. Onion salt to taste and mix well. Optional: add sweet green tomato relish, mix well. Spread on whole wheat bread, top with cucumber slices, a lettuce leaf, and a second slice of whole wheat bread. Slice the sandwich diagonally and serve!

No comments: