Sugar cookies can be adapted for any celebration. These can be frosted with butter cream frosting and decorated. These can also be sprinkled with granulated sugar or colored sugar crystals. Also these can be left plain and used as mini dessert pizzas to be assembled on the spot. Makes about 5 dozen.
1 1/2 Cup Softened Butter (room temperature)
2 Cups Granulated Vanilla Sugar (white granulated sugar stored with a vanilla bean in the canister)
1 Teaspoon Homemade Vanilla
5 Cups White or Unbleached Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Add in eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Mix salt and baking powder in a small bowl, then whisk into flour.
- With mixer on pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to over night. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out cookie dough to an even thickness of 1/4- 1/2 inch.
- Using a cookie cuter cut out shapes and place about 1 inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in the freezer. Placing the cookie sheet in the freezer for a few minutes before cooking helps cookies maintain their shape!
- Immediately fill out the next cookie sheet.
- Then take the second cookie sheet and place in the freezer.
- Take the chilled cookie sheet out of the freezer and leave plain for frosting later or sprinkle with granulated or crystal sugar for sugar cookies.
- Place chilled cookie sheets immediately in the preheated oven.
- Bake 6-8 minute, till firm but not browned.
- Cool on rack.