Copyright ©2007- 2020 Donna Goff

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Buttery Breakfast Biscuits



(biscuits before baking)

When I was a little girl my mother used to make baking powder biscuits and cut them out with a floured drinking glass. I do not have her recipe. These make flaky, tender biscuits and can be eaten as a bread with dinner or can be used as a base for a meal or dessert. This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Old Fashion Baking Cookbook. I have used this recipe since 1990 when the cookbook came out. I have usually made this with whipping cream, but it also works well with milk. I always double the recipe!

Ingredients:

2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Whipping Cream, Light Cream, or Milk

Directions:
In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt (I use a wire whisk). Using a pastry blender, cut butter into the dry mixture until it looks like crumbs. Make a well in the middle and pour in liquid all at once. Stir lightly with a fork until well moistened.

On a lightly floured counter (I use a pastry cloth) dump contents of the bowl. Flour hands and knead by gently folding and patting the dough 10-12 times. Dough will be very soft and sticky, add a little flour to make it easy to pat out into a thickness of about 1/2. Cut out with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter, I prefer heart shaped. Dip cutter in flour between cuts. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove immediately from baking sheet.
Serve hot.

Makes 10-12 biscuits.

No comments: