Copyright ©2007- 2020 Donna Goff

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Donna's Catalina Potato Salad

I had never eaten potato salad before I was 22 years old. I was visiting my brother and his wife. We had a picnic and my sister-in-law served potato salad. I asked for the recipe and she said it was in the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook. When I pulled out my cookbook, the next time I wanted potato salad, it called for "Clear French." I had no idea what that was. So, I substituted Catalina and it made a nice pink potato salad with a really good flavor blend. It was a hit. I usually double the recipe. This is a great recipe to use with Easter eggs at Easter time. When I saw her later, she said clear French was Italian.  Well, I had made it with Catalina and it was a family favorite, so I am changing nothing. 

Ingredients:

4-5 medium potatoes
4-5 boiled eggs
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Catalina dressing
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Directions:

Rinse potatoes. Boil potatoes in their skins, until a knife can poke it. The potato will be firm, not too soft. While potatoes are boiling , boil eggs. When potatoes are done, peel under cold water. Cut into cubes. Poor Catalina over potatoes, cover with a lid, foil, or wrap. Chill 2 hours. Add eggs, mayonnaise, onion, celery, salt, and celery seed. Mix well. Chill for 4 hours. This is even better the second day.

To Boil Eggs:

During the winter I have to let eggs sit on the counter for and hour before cooking, or they do not seem to cook fully otherwise. Cover eggs with cold water, about 1 inch over the top of the eggs. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Cover with lid and remove from heat. Let sit for 23 minutes. Remove eggs immediately, and place in cold water, to stop the cooking. If eggs over cook, the surface of the yolk turns green. Harmless, but not appealing to look at. Peel under cold running water. Cut in an egg slicer one way, then rotate the egg and cross cut. I have been known to cut horizontal, vertical , then roll egg over and cross cut again, but this can be tricky.

No comments: